Something something something, lots of changes, Brickbreak version 1.0.0.6.
Where to start? I suppose I should directly address the "next major milestones" I'd listed in the previous blog post about Brickbreak. I mentioned that not all of them would be complete for version 1.0.0.6, so I should follow up on that. The "physics engine" rework was abandoned. It took far too long to implement in such a short time frame, and is looking like a version 1.0.1.0 thing. Another level was added, and most of the levels had their quantity of bricks toned down. A single active ability was added in the form of a fireball that charged from breaking bricks - the more charge, the larger the blast. This helps deal with the struggle of the final few bricks, and adds a new dimension to the player's decisions to make. The planned user interface revamp was originally designed to accommodate the player gaining eight different active abilities, but since only one ability was added to test the waters, the current interface is still passable. No new hazards were added this time around, though there are specific plans for a few more, such as a temporary confusion that swaps the left and right movement of the paddle. Music was indeed properly added; three tracks were sourced each from ParagonX9 and Dimrain47 of Newgrounds. Gamepad controller support was never completed. A pause screen was finally implemented. It's quite fancy, too. The actual level itself dims out in the background, and a flashy disco pause screen is overlaid on top. Oh, surprise surprise, I officially fixed the issue of the ball getting softlocked into a self-stable bounce loop. Major bugfix there. That's about as far as extra updates go.
There are definitely plans to continue improving this, but it might go straight to the aforementioned version 1.0.1.0. I really want to do that "physics engine rework". All of my other attempts to fix the "glitched ball hitbox" softlock (that occurs approximately once every 10-15 levels) have been unsuccessful.
BakaChibi out.
BakaChibi out.

No comments:
Post a Comment